Home / Headline / 영 가디언, 일본군 성노예 관련 한일합의 다뤄

영 가디언, 일본군 성노예 관련 한일합의 다뤄

영 가디언, 일본군 성노예 관련 한일합의 다뤄
– 일본 심장 도쿄서 가진 피해여성 기자회견 전해
– 일본 정부, 더 이상 사과는 없다

일제강점기하 일본군 성노예로 강제로 끌려간 약 20만 명의 한국 여성 피해자들(공식적으로 전시 일본군 성노예 피해자로 인정받은 238명의 대한민국 여성들 중, 46명만 생존하고 있고, 그들의 평균연령은 89세이다)의 의견이 전혀 반영되지 않은 ‘한일 정부 간 합의’에 대해 영국의 가디언지가 26일 자로 보도했다.

기사는 2차세계대전 중 일본군을 위해 강제로 성노예로 일한 한국 여자들이 일본과 한국의 “위안부” 문제에 대한 최근 합의안을 자신들을 “바보로 보이게 만들었다”며 이를 거부하는 기자회견을 일본의 심장 도쿄에서 가졌다고 전했다. 이들은 (합의안 작성에 대해) 자신들의 의견은 묻지 않았다며 아베 신조 일본 총리에게 직접적인 사과와 공식적인 배상을 요구했다.

기사는 “한일 간 협의에 따라, 일본 정부는 전시 일본 군당국이 여성 성노예화에 일조했다는 점은 인정했지만, 보상금을 인도적 지원으로 묘사하며 법적 책임을 인정하지는 않는 점, 한국 정부는 문제가 ‘최종적, 불가역적으로’ 해결되었다고 받아들였고, UN을 포함한 다른 국제 포럼에서 문제화하지 않겠다고 덧붙였다”고 전했다.

하지만 기사는 “이건 마치 일본 정부가 우리가 발언을 멈추고 죽기를 기다리고 있는 것과 같다”는 피해자 이옥선(89) 씨의 말을 인용하며, 생존 위안부와 지지자들에 의해 한일합의가 비판받고 있다고 전했다.

기사는 한일합의에 따른 소녀상 철거문제, 필리핀 피해자들의 항변과 일본에 의해 자행된 잔악한 성노예 문제를 다뤘다.

또한 기사의 말미에 일본군에 의해 중국으로 잡혀가 2000년 한국에 귀국할 때까지 중국에 살았던 피해자 강일출(87) 씨의 이야기를 전하며 마무리했다.

“아직까지 힘든 역경의 신체적 정서적 상처를 견뎌내고 있다. 나는 작은 방에 갇혀서 하루에 10명에서 20명의 군인들과 강제로 성관계를 가져야 했다. 너무 많이 구타를 당해서 온몸은 멍투성이였다. 아직까지도 두통을 겪고 있다.”

다음은 뉴스프로가 번역한 가디언 기사 전문이다.

번역 감수 : Elizabeth

기사 바로가기 ☞ http://bit.ly/1SHYvmT

Former sex slaves reject Japan and South Korea’s ‘comfort women’ accord

옛 성노예들, 한일 ‘위안부’ 합의안 거부

Deal made us look like fools, say women forced to work in Japanese wartime brothels

합의안이 자신들을 바보로 만들었다고 일본의 전시 위안소에서 강제로 일한 여성들은 말한다.

Justin McCurry in Tokyo

www_theguardian_com_20160130_231115(1)

www_theguardian_com_20160130_231216(1)

Kang Il-chul, 87, with Lee Ok-sun, 88, in the background, speaks during a press conference in Tokyo on Tuesday. Photograph: Shizuo Kambayashi/AP
이옥선(88세, 사진 오른쪽 뒤) 씨와 함께 있는 강일출(87) 씨가 화요일 도쿄에서 열린 기자회견에서 발언하고 있다.

 

Two women who were forced to work as sex slaves for the Japanese military during the second world war have rejected the recent agreement between Japan and South Korea on the “comfort women” issue, saying it had made them “look like fools”.

2차세계대전 중 일본군을 위해 강제로 성노예로 일한 두 여자는 일본과 한국의 “위안부” 문제에 대한 최근 합의안을 자신들을 “바보로 보이게 만들었다”며 거부했다.

Lee Ok-sun, 88, and Kang Il-chul, 87, said during a visit to Tokyo on Tuesday that they had not been consulted, and called on the Japanese prime minister, Shinzo Abe, to offer a face-to-face apology and provide official compensation.

88세의 이옥선 씨와 87세의 강일출 씨는 화요일 도쿄 방문 중에 자신들의 의견은 묻지 않았다며 아베 신조 일본 총리에게 직접적인 사과와 공식적인 배상을 하라고 요구했다.

“This deal has made us look like fools,” Kang told reporters. “It was agreed without consulting us. How could they have agreed on this and pushed us to one side? I’m furious.”

“이번 합의안은 우리를 바보로 보이게 만들었다”고 강 씨가 기자들에게 말했다. “우리 의견을 빼놓은 채 합의했다. 어떻게 우리를 물러서 있게 하고 저들끼리 합의를 할 수가 있나? 분노가 치민다.”

Last month, Japan and South Korea achieved an apparent breakthrough in the long-running dispute when Tokyo agreed to contribute 1bn yen to a South Korean fund set up to help survivors.

지난달, 일본이 생존자들을 돕기 위한 기금 조성을 위해 한국에 10억 엔을 부담키로 함에 따라 일본과 한국은 장기간에 걸친 분쟁에 확고한 돌파구를 마련했다.

Abe offered an indirect apology “to all of the women who underwent immeasurable and painful experiences and suffered incalculable physical and psychological wounds as comfort women”.

아베는 “위안부로 가늠할 수 없을 정도로 고통스러운 일을 겪고, 계산할 수 없는 육체적, 정신적 상처를 입은 모든 여성들”에게 간접적으로 사과했다.

Tokyo also acknowledged that its wartime military authorities had played a role in the women’s sexual enslavement, but avoided any admission of legal responsibility, describing the cash as a humanitarian gesture.

일본 정부는 전시 일본 군당국이 여성 성노예화에 일조했다는 점은 인정했지만, 보상금을 인도적 지원으로 묘사하며 법적 책임을 인정하지는 않았다.

In return, Seoul said it accepted the issue was resolved “finally and irreversibly”, adding that it would not raise it at the United Nations or in other international forums.

한국 정부는 문제가 ‘최종적, 불가역적으로’ 해결되었다고 받아들였고, UN을 포함한 다른 국제 포럼에서 문제화하지 않겠다고 덧붙였다.

But the agreement has been criticised by surviving women and their supporters.

하지만 합의는 생존 위안부와 지지자들에 의해 비판받고 있다.

“It is as if the Japanese government is waiting for us to stop speaking out and die,” Lee said on Tuesday.

“이건 마치 일본 정부가 우리가 발언을 멈추고 죽기를 기다리고 있는 것과 같다”고 지난 화요일 이씨가 말했다.

Abe hails Japan South Korea aid for ‘comfort women’ wartime sex slaves agreement
아베는 ‘위안부’ (전시 성노예)에 대한 한일 합의를 환영하고 있다.

 

Of the 238 South Korean women who were officially recognised as victims of wartime sexual slavery by the Japanese military, only 46 are still alive, with an average age of 89.

공식적으로 전시 일본 군부 성노예 피해자로 인정받은 238명의 대한민국 여성들 중, 46명만 생존하고 있고, 그들의 평균연령은 89세이다.

Kang was in her mid-teens when Japanese military police arrived at her home in South Korea and told her she was being conscripted during Japan’s 35-year colonisation of the Korean peninsula, which ended with its defeat in 1945.

1945년 일제가 패망하기 전까지 35년 동안 한반도를 식민지배하고 있을 당시, 10대 중반이던 강 씨의 집에 일본 헌병이 집에 들이닥쳐 그녀에게 징집대상임을 통보했다.

She was one of as many as 200,000 women, most of whom were Korean, who were forced to have sex with Japanese soldiers in frontline brothels before and during the war.
Kang and Lee, who live with eight other survivors at the House of Sharing, a private facility near Seoul, have asked to speak to Abe in person. But the meeting is unlikely to happen. “Not only has Abe not apologised, but he hasn’t even tried to meet us,” Kang said. “Why doesn’t he come out and apologise? We want him to meet us face to face.”

그녀는 한국인이 대부분이었던 20만 명의 위안부 중 한 명이었고, 그들은 전쟁 전과 전시에 전방 위안소에서 억지로 일본 군인들과 성관계를 해야 했다. 서울근교의 사설기관인 나눔의 집에서 다른 8명의 생존자와 함께 사는 강 씨와 이 씨는 아베 총리와의 면담을 요구해왔다. 하지만 만남이 성사될 것 같지는 않다. 강 씨는, “아베는 우리에게 사과하지 않을 뿐 아니라 만나려고 하지도 않는다. 왜 사과하지 않는가? 우리는 그가 우리와 얼굴을 맞대고 만났으면 한다”고 말했다.

Another potential sticking point to December’s landmark agreement is the fate of a statue of a girl representing comfort women that has stood outside the Japanese embassy in Seoul since late 2011.

지난 12월의 합의문과 관련해서 잠재적인 문제로 남아있는 것 중 하나는 2011년에 세워진 주한 일본대사관 앞의 ‘위안부’를 상징하는 소녀상의 운명이다.

The South Korean government said it would try to persuade the private group that erected the statue to remove it, but insisted it had not offered any guarantees. Japanese media, however, quoted a government source as saying that Abe regards the removal of the statue as a condition for the provision of the funds.

한국 정부는 소녀상을 세운 민간단체를 설득해 동상을 철거하도록 유도할 계획이라고 하면서도, 일본에 이를 약속한 것은 아니라고 주장했다. 그러나 일본 언론은 정부 관계자의 말을 인용해 아베 총리가 소녀상을 철거하는 조건으로 배상금을 제공하려는 것임을 전했다.

The women’s rejection of the agreement came as former sex slaves from the Philippines called on the country’s president, Benigno Aquino, to raise their plight with the Japanese emperor and empress, who arrived in Manila on Tuesday for an official visit.

한국 위안부들의 합의 거부와 때를 같이 해, 필리핀에서는 전 성노예 여성들이 베니그노 아키노 대통령에게 공식방문을 위해 화요일 마닐라에 도착한 일왕 부부에게 그들이 겪은 참상을 전해달라고 요구했다.

“My message for our president is that the abuses against us must be addressed,” Narcisa Claveria, 85, told reporters, according to Kyodo News.

교도통신에 따르면 “우리에 대한 학대가 언급되어야 한다고 대통령에게 요구한다”고 나르시아 클라베라(85) 씨는 기자들에게 말했다.

“We have yet to receive real justice. We were so young, but a lot was already taken from us. We lost our dignity. We weren’t able to go to school. We suffered under the Japanese soldiers.”

“우리는 아직까지도 진정한 대우를 받아본 적이 없다. 우리는 너무 어렸지만 이미 많은 것을 빼앗겼다. 우리는 인간 존엄을 잃었다. 학교에 갈 수도 없었고 일본군으로부터 고통을 받았다.”

Japan, however, has said it is not planning to reach comfort women agreements with any countries other than South Korea.

그러나 일본 정부는 한국을 제외한 다른 국가들과는 위안부 합의를 진행할 계획이 없다고 밝혔다.

In 1993, Japan’s then chief cabinet secretary, Yōhei Kōno, acknowledged and apologisedfor the first time for Japan’s use of sex slaves. Japan, however, has refused to directly compensate the women, saying all claims were settled in a 1965 treaty that restored diplomatic ties. It set up the privately run Asian Women’s Fund in 1995, but many surviving sex slaves refused money unless it came directly from the Japanese government. The fund was disbanded in 2007.

1993년 고노 요헤이 당시 일본 관방장관은 일본의 성노예 이용을 처음으로 인정하고 사과했다. 그러나 일본은 1965년 한일국교정상화 협정에서 모든 요구사항들은 해결되었다고 말하며 성노예 여성들에 대한 직접적인 보상을 거부해왔다. 일본은 1995년 민간으로 운영된 아시아여성기금을 출범시켰다. 그러나 많은 생존 성노예 여성들은 일본 정부가 직접 보상을 하지 않으면 그 기금을 받지 않겠다고 거부했다. 그 기금은 2007년 해체되었다.

Kang, who was taken to China, where she lived until her return to South Korea in 2000, still bears the physical and emotional scars of her ordeal. “I was put in a tiny room and made to sleep with about 10 to 20 soldiers a day,” she told the Guardian in 2012.

중국으로 잡혀가서 2000년 한국에 귀국할 때까지 중국에 살았던 강 씨는 아직까지 힘든 역경의 신체적 정서적 상처를 견뎌내고 있다. 그녀는 2012년 가디언과의 인터뷰에서 “나는 작은 방에 갇혀서 하루에 10명에서 20명의 군인들과 관계를 가져야 했다”고 말했다.

“I was punched and beaten so much that my body was covered in bruises. I still get headaches.”

“너무 많이 구타를 당해서 온몸은 멍투성이였다. 아직까지도 두통을 겪고 있다”

[번역 저작권자: 뉴스프로, 번역 기사 전문 혹은 일부를 인용하실 때에는 반드시 출처를 밝혀주십시오.]

Facebook Comments
박근혜 구속, 이제 우병우, 안봉근, 이재만, 정윤회, 이영선, 윤전추, 정동춘, 그리고 정유라를 구속하라!

About 편집부

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*