Home / Headline / 뉴욕타임스, 韓 영화계 부산 영화제 전면 거부 보도

뉴욕타임스, 韓 영화계 부산 영화제 전면 거부 보도

뉴욕타임스, 韓 영화계 부산 영화제 전면 거부 보도
-세월호 다큐 시사회 허용으로 탄압받아
-국제 영화 단체 한국 영화계 지지 ‘정치압력 중단 요구’

세월호 참사 다큐멘터리 시사회 상영을 둘러싼 부산국제영화제 논란이 전 세계적으로 확산되고 있다. 뉴욕타임스는 20일 ‘Film Groups Threaten Boycott of South Korean Film Festival-한국 영화인 단체, 부산국제영화제 참가거부 결의’라는 제목의 기사를 게재하고 한국 영화계가 부산영화제를 전면 거부하고 있다고 보도했다.

뉴욕타임스는 부산 영화제를 둘러싼 분쟁이 “2014년 영화제 조직위원장이던 서병수 부산시장이 그해 4월 거의 300명을 사망에 이르게 한 세월호 침몰에 대한 다큐멘터리의 상영을 금지하려 했을 때 시작됐다”며 “서 시장의 방해 시도에도 불구하고 당시 이용관 영화제 집행위원장은 이 영화의 시사회를 허용했다”고 갈등의 배경을 설명했다.

뉴욕타임스는 이후 이용관 위원장의 계약연장 중단을 통한 사실상의 해임, 예산 삭감 등의 탄압과정을 소개하며 한국 영화계의 전면 거부는 90% 이상의 영화인들의 불참 의지를 확인한 뒤 결정됐다고 전했다.

뉴욕타임스는 특히 많은 국제영화단체들이 한국 영화계를 지지하고 있다며 “지난 2월 칸느영화제 티에리 프레무 위원장, 베를린국제영화제 디터 코슬릭 위원장, 베니스국제영화제 알베르토 바베라 위원장을 포함한 114개의 영화계 전문가들이 부산국제영화제 집행위원들과 프로그래머에 대한 정치적 압력을 중단할 것”을 요구하는 공개서한을 서 시장에게 보냈다”고 국제 영화계의 움직임을 상세하게 전했다.

세월호의 진실을 은폐하려는 현 정권과 부산시의 음모가 아시아 최고의 영화제인 부산국제영화제마저 침몰시키고 있다는 우려가 터져 나오면서 이제 세월호는 부산 국제영화제뿐만이 아닌 세계 영화계가 주목하는 문제로 확산되고 있다.

분쟁의 발단이 된 세월호 다큐멘터리의 제목 “진실은 침몰하지 않는다”는 이런 점에서 시사하는 바가 크다고 볼 수 있다.

다음은 뉴스프로가 번역한 뉴욕타임스 기사 전문이다.

번역 감수 : 임옥

기사 바로가기 ☞ http://nyti.ms/1SU2BDz

Film Groups Threaten Boycott of South Korean Film Festival

한국 영화인 단체, 부산국제영화제 참가거부 결의

By AMY QIN
APRIL 20, 2016

photo_2016-04-22_00-07-13

BEIJING — Nine South Korean film organizations said this week that they would boycott the Busan International Film Festival, one of the top events in Asia, if organizers did not address their concerns about government interference in the festival.

베이징 – 9개의 한국 영화인 단체는 주최 측이 행사에 정부 개입에 대한 자신들의 우려를 해결하지 못한다면 아시아 최고의 행사 중 하나인 부산국제영화제를 전면거부하겠다고 이번 주 말했다.

The boycott threat is the latest development in a conflict between the festival, the South Korean film industry and the Busan city government. The dispute started in 2014 when Suh Byung-soo, the mayor of Busan and the festival’s chairman, tried to block a documentary about the sinking of a ferry that April that left nearly 300 people dead.

이 전면거부의 위협은 영화제 측, 즉 한국 영화계와 부산 시정부 사이의 갈등을 보여주는 가장 최근의 국면이다. 분쟁은 지난 2014년 영화제 조직위원장이던 서병수 부산시장이 그해 4월 거의 300명을 사망에 이르게 한 세월호 침몰에 대한 다큐멘터리의 상영을 금지하려 했을 때 시작됐다.

The 77-minute documentary, called “The Truth Shall Not Sink With the Sewol,” is a critical look at what many say was the South Korean government’s botched response to the disaster. Despite Mr. Suh’s efforts, the director of the festival at the time, Lee Yong-kwan, allowed the screening to proceed.

“진실은 침몰하지 않는다”라는 제목의 이 77분짜리 다큐멘터리는 많은 이들이 주장하듯 한국 정부가 참사에 엉망으로 대응한 점을 비판적인 시각으로 조명한다. 서 시장의 방해 시도에도 불구하고 당시 이용관 영화제 집행위원장은 이 영화의 시사회를 허용했다.

Tensions escalated last year when government funding for the festival — about half of its $11 million budget — was reduced, and again this February after the contract of Mr. Lee, who is a co-founder of the festival, was not renewed. The actress Kang Soo-yeon, who was appointed co-director of the festival last July, is now the sole director.

지난해 시 정부가 영화제를 위한 후원금을 삭감하고 – 천백만 달러 예산의 약 절반 – 다시 올해 2월 이 영화제의 공동 창립자인 이용관 집행위원장의 계약을 연장하지 않으며 긴장은 고조됐다. 지난 7월 영화제 공동 집행위원장으로 지명된 영화배우 강수연 씨가 이제 단독으로 집행위원장이 됐다.

The committee put forward several demands in a statement issued on Monday, including calling for Mr. Suh to step down as chairman.

위원회는 월요일 발표된 성명서에서 서 시장이 위원장직에서 물러날 것을 요구하는 내용을 포함한 몇 가지 요구사항들을 제시했다.

“Right now, it’s really hard to tell if there will be a festival this year,” Kim Young-woo, a festival programmer, said in a telephone interview on Wednesday. The 21st edition of the festival is scheduled to open in October.

“현재로썬, 올해 영화제가 열릴 수 있을지 말하기 정말 어렵다”고 영화제 프로그래머인 김영우 씨는 수요일 전화 인터뷰에서 말했다. 제21회 부산국제영화제는 10월로 개막 예정되어 있다.

According to the statement, the decision to call for a boycott was reached after the nine organizations, which include the Korean Film Producers Association and the Directors’ Guild of Korea, conducted a survey and found that over 90 percent of their members said they would not attend this year’s festival.

성명서에 따르면, 영화제 전면거부는 한국영화제작가협회와 한국영화감독협회를 포함한 9개 단체가 설문 조사를 통해 90% 이상의 회원들이 올해 영화제에 참석하지 않겠다고 대답한 조사 결과가 나온 뒤 결정됐다.

Many in the international film community have rallied behind the festival and the local film industry. In February, 114 film industry professionals — including Thierry Frémaux, director of the Cannes film festival; Dieter Kosslick, director of the Berlin International Film Festival; and Alberto Barbera, director of the Venice International Film Festival — wrote an open letter to Mr. Suh calling for the mayor to “stop applying political pressure to the festival’s leaders and programmers.”

많은 국제영화 단체들도 부산국제영화제와 한국 영화계를 지지했다. 지난 2월 칸느영화제 티에리 프레무 위원장, 베를린국제영화제 디터 코슬릭 위원장, 베니스국제영화제 알베르토 바베라 위원장을 포함한 114개의 영화계 전문가들이 “부산국제영화제 집행위원들과 프로그래머에 대한 정치적 압력을 중단할 것”을 요구하는 공개서한을 서 시장에게 보냈다.

In an emailed response to questions, Eun-jung Suh, chief of secretariat for the Korean Film Producers Association, said the association “truly intends” to boycott the festival.

질의에 대한 이메일 답변에서 한국영화제작가협회 서은정 사무국장은 협회가 부산국제영화제 전면거부를 “실제로 거행할 의사가 있다”고 말했다.

“It could be bad for the BIFF but we have truly cared about BIFF for the last 20 years,” Mr. Suh, who is not related to the Busan mayor, wrote about the festival. “The more important things are the freedom of expression and BIFF’s independence.”

부산시장과 친인척 관계가 아닌 서 사무국장은 “그것은 영화제에 좋지 않은 영향을 미칠 수 있지만 우리는 지난 20년 동안 부산국제영화제를 정말로 아껴왔다”고 영화제에 대해 말하며 “보다 중요한 것은 표현의 자유이며 부산국제영화제의 독립성이다”라고 덧붙였다.

[번역 저작권자: 뉴스프로, 번역 기사 전문 혹은 일부를 인용하실 때에는 반드시 출처를 밝혀주십시오.]

소셜 댓글
뉴스프로 후원하기

2 comments

  1. 좋은기사 잘보고갑니다. 꾸벅

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*