Home / Headline / 뉴욕타임스, 대법원 세월호 선장에게 무기징역 확정 선고

뉴욕타임스, 대법원 세월호 선장에게 무기징역 확정 선고

뉴욕타임스, 대법원 세월호 선장에게 무기징역 확정 선고
– 대법원, 고등법원의 “미필적 고의에 의한 살인죄”선고 만장일치로 확정
– 대법원, 이 선장이 고의로 승객들을 포기한 것
– 희생자 학생들 대부분 웅크린 채 발견, 가만히 있으라는 지시에 따라 기다린 것
– 세월호 참사는 정경유착, 규제 감독 태만, 무능한 해양경찰 책임

뉴욕타임스는 12일 대법원이 세월호 선장에게 무기징역을 확정 선고한 소식을 보도했다.

기사는 “승객들에게 배에서 탈출하라는 조속한 지시를 내렸다면 많은 사람들이 탈출해 살았을 것”이라며 대법원이 만장일치로 판결했으며 다른 승무원들은 1년 반에서 12년의 징역형을 받았다고 설명했다.

또한 대법원이 “이 선장이 세월호를 버리고 떠났을 때 그는 승객들이 익사하리라는 것을 충분히 알면서도 선장으로서의 역할을 고의로, 완전히 포기했다고 말하는 것이 형평에 맞다”고 말했다고 덧붙였다.

기사는 규정을 어겨가며 과적한 세월호에서 대부분의 희생자들이 웅크린 채 발견됐으며 수학여행 중이던 이들 학생들은 가만히 있으라는 지시에 따라 결코 오지 않았던 구조를 기다렸다고 말해 안타까움을 자아냈다.

뉴욕타임스는 조사자들이 세월호 침몰 사고는 정경 유착과 규제 소홀, 그리고 무능한 해양경찰에게 책임이 있다고 말했다고 전하며 끝을 맺었다.

다음은 뉴스프로가 번역한 뉴욕타임스 기사 전문이다.

번역 감수 : 임옥

기사 바로가기 ☞ http://nyti.ms/1kQQ7Dp

South Korea’s Top Court Upholds Life Term for Captain in Ferry Sinking

한국 대법원, 세월호 침몰시킨 선장에 무기징역 확정

By CHOE SANG-HUN NOV. 12, 2015

www_nytimes_com_20151113_234331(1)

www_nytimes_com_20151113_234026(2)

Pictures of victims of the ferry that sank off South Korea in the city of Ansan in April, honoring the first anniversary of the disaster. Credit Woohae Cho for The New York Times
지난 4월 참사 1주기를 기리는 안산시에 있는 한국에서 침몰된 세월호 희생자들의 사진

SEOUL, South Korea — The Supreme Court of South Korea on Thursday upheld the life sentence of the captain of a ferry that capsized in 2014, killing more than 300 people, most of them teenagers trapped inside the ship as the crew fled.

한국 서울 – 목요일 한국 대법원은 지난 2014년 침몰 당시 10대 아이들인 300여 명은 배 안에 갇힌 채로 대부분 사망하고 승무원들만 탈출한 세월호의 선장에게 무기징역을 확정했다.

In a ruling that completed a year long trial of 15 crew members of the ferry, the Sewol, the country’s highest court supported the murder conviction against the captain, Lee Jun-seok. Fourteen lower-ranking crew members had received sentences of one and a half to 12 years in prison on lesser criminal charges that stemmed from their shirking of a duty to help passengers.

15명의 세월호 승무원들에 대한 1년에 걸친 재판을 마무리한 최종 판결에서 한국 대법원은 선장 이준석에 대한 살인죄를 확정했다. 나머지 14명의 하급 승무원들은 승객들을 도와야 하는 의무를 저버린 데 대해 그보다 덜한 범죄 혐의로 1년 반에서 12년까지의 징역형을 받았다.

In April, an appeals court convicted Mr. Lee, 70, of committing “murder through willful negligence” after he and other crew members abandoned the ship last year, fleeing onto the first Coast Guard ships arriving at the scene without instructing passengers to evacuate.

지난 4월 고등법원은 선장과 승무원들이 지난해 당시 사고 현장에 처음 도착한 해안경비정에 올라타며 승객들에게는 탈출하라는 지시도 내리지 않은 채 세월호를 버리고 도망간 것에 대해 이 선장(70세)이 “미필적 고의에 의한 살인”을 범했다고 선고했다.

“If there had been a timely order to evacuate the passengers, a considerable number of victims would have escaped and lived,” the Supreme Court said in its unanimous ruling on Thursday.

“승객들에게 배에서 탈출하라는 조속한 지시가 있었다면, 희생자들 중 많은 수가 탈출해 살았을 것”이라고 목요일 대법원이 만장일치로 판결했다.

The 6,825-ton ferry was carrying twice the legal limit of cargo when it suddenly tilted as it was turning in treacherous waters off the southwestern tip of South Korea in April 2014. An investigation by prosecutors showed that the ship had accommodated the excess cargo by dumping much of the ballast water, sacrificing a crucial ability to balance the ship.

6,825톤의 세월호가 2014년 4월 한국 남서쪽 끝자락 험한 바다에서 회전하면서 갑자기 기울어졌을 때 세월호는 법적 허용 화물량의 두 배를 운반하고 있었다. 검찰 조사에 의하면 세월호는 평형수를 상당량 버려 배의 균형을 잡아주는 중요한 기능을 희생시키면서 과다한 화물을 실을 공간을 마련했다.

Most of the 304 dead were found huddled inside the ferry. Survivors and investigators have said that the ship’s intercom repeatedly told passengers, most of them high school students on a field trip, to stay put, leaving them waiting for help that never came.

사망한 304명 대부분은 세월호 안에서 웅크린 채 발견됐다. 조사자들은 세월호의 선내 방송이 대부분 수학여행 중이던 고등학생 승객들에게 제자리에 가만있으라고 계속 지시하며 결코 오지도 않았던 구조를 기다리게 했다고 말했다.

In the past, murder through willful negligence has been a difficult charge to prove in South Korea. Until this case, no crew member had ever been convicted of it in connection with a ship disaster.

과거 미필적 고의에 의한 살인은 한국에서 증명하기 힘든 혐의였다. 이번 세월호 사건 전까지는 승무원이 선박 재난과 관련해 미필적 고의로 인한 살인으로 유죄 선고를 받은 적이 없었다.

A lower court cleared Mr. Lee of that charge last November, saying that prosecutors had not proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he failed to issue an evacuation order. It sentenced him to 36 years in prison on lesser charges.

하급법원은 이 선장이 탈출 명령을 내리지 않았다는 혐의에 대해 검찰이 합리적인 의심의 여지 없이 증명하지 못했다고 말하며 작년 11월 그 혐의에 대해 무죄를 선언했다. 법원은 그보다 약한 혐의로 그에게 36년 징역형을 선고했다.

But in April, an appeals court ruled that enough evidence showed Mr. Lee’s failure to issue such an order and take additional steps required of a captain to help passengers in danger. Mr. Lee was sentenced to life in prison on the murder charge, the verdict that the Supreme Court upheld on Thursday.

그러나 4월 고등법원은 그가 그러한 탈출 명령을 내리지 않았고, 선장으로서 마땅히 위험에 처한 승객을 구할 추가 조치들도 취하지 않았음을 보여주는 충분한 증거가 있다고 판결했다. 이 선장은 살인 혐의로 무기징역을 선고받았으며 목요일 대법원은 이를 확정했다.

“It is fair to say that the captain knowingly and totally abandoned his role when he left the ship fully aware that passengers would drown,” the Supreme Court said. Throughout his hearings, Mr. Lee tearfully apologized for his poor seamanship and said he did not object to a long prison term. But he has resisted the murder charge, saying that he never had a murderous intention.

대법원은 “이 선장이 세월호를 버리고 떠났을 때 그는 승객들이 익사할 것임을 충분히 알면서도 선장으로서의 역할을 고의로, 그리고 완전히 포기했다고 말하는 것이 형평에 맞다”고 말했다. 심문 내내 이 선장은 눈물을 흘리며 자신의 서툰 선박 조정에 대해 사과하고 장기복역에 이의가 없다고 말했다. 그러나 그는 자신은 결코 살인을 저지를 의도가 없었다며 살인죄는 부인했다.

Investigators have also attributed the sinking, among South Korea’s worst peacetime disasters, to the ferry company, which had dismissed complaints about routine overloading of the ship; regulators who colluded with the company and failed to stop the problem and other safety loopholes; and the Coast Guard, which has been accused of bungling the early rescue effort. Dozens of safety inspectors and shipping company and Coast Guard officials have been jailed or convicted on criminal charges.

조사자들은 또한 전시를 제외하고 한국 최악의 재난들 중 하나인 그 침몰 사고의 책임을, 세월호의 일상적인 과적에 대한 보고를 무시했던 세월호 선주 회사, 회사와 결탁해서 그 문제와 다른 안전 허점들을 내버려 둔 규제 기관들, 그리고 초기 구조 작업에 실패했다는 비난을 받아 온 해양경찰에도 돌렸다. 수십 명의 안전 감시자들과 선주 회사 및 해양경찰 관련자들이 구속되었거나 범죄 혐의로 유죄판결을 받았다.

[번역 저작권자: 뉴스프로, 번역기사 전문 혹은 일부를 인용하실 때에는 반드시 출처를 밝혀주십시오.]

소셜 댓글
뉴스프로 후원하기

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

x

Check Also

군인권센터 보도자료, 박근혜 정권 촛불 무력 진압 개입 정황 드러나

박근혜 청와대, 촛불 무력 진압에 개입한 정황 계속 드러나 – 2016년 11월~12월 촛불 정국 관련 ...