Home / Headline / 뉴욕타임스, 정부에 대한 불신, 메르스 공포 확산의 주범

뉴욕타임스, 정부에 대한 불신, 메르스 공포 확산의 주범

뉴욕타임스, 정부에 대한 불신, 메르스 공포 확산의 주범
– 정부, 세월호에 이어 또다시 재난 대처 실패
– 정부 또 늑장 대응, 긴장 고조 속에 ‘휴교’ 조치 내려져

– 구멍 뚫린 공중 보건 시스템…초기 감염자들에 대한 대응 및 바이러스 제압 실패

뉴욕타임스는 3일, 한국 전역이 메르스 공포에 떨고 있으며 이는 한국 정부의 세월호에 이은 또 다른 대처 실패의 결과로 많은 국민이 정부의 재난 대처 능력에 깊은 의구심을 갖는다는 소식을 보도했다.

기사는 격리된 사람들의 수가 거의 배로 증가했고 학교들이 임시 휴교에 들어가는 등 긴장이 고조되고 있으나 정부가 감염 병원을 공개하지 않고 있다며 감염 사실을 모르고 치료를 받지 못한 환자들이 메르스를 더욱 확산시킬 것이라고 우려했다.

기사는 사람들의 염려를 가중하는 것은 다음 아닌 사람들의 ‘정부에 대한 불신’이라고 지적했다. 세월호 참사로 긴급 상황 대처 능력제로라는 민낯을 보인바 있는 정부가 하는 말을 사람들이 믿지 못한다는 것이다.

기사는 세계보건기구가 적절한 예방조치만 하면 메르스 바이러스의 전염을 막을 수 있다고 말했으나 사람들은 정부의 늑장 대응으로 높은 사망자 수를 낸 세월호 참사를 상기하며 고조되는 공포 속에서 휴교 조치가 이루어졌을 것이라고 분석했다.

비평가들은 (정부의 바이러스에 대한 초동 제압이 실패한 가운데) 감염이 확인된 병원들을 공개하지 않는 것이 오히려 사람들의 우려를 심화시키고 있다고 말했다. 또 공중 보건 시스템의 허술한 감염 관리 실태를 지적하기도 했다.

그 예로, 첫 감염 환자는 세 군데 병원에서 진료를 받았으나 증상을 호소한 지 1주일이 지나서야 메르스 검사를 받았다고 지적했다. 또 한 남성은 집에 있으라는 의사의 말을 무시하고 홍콩을 거쳐 중국으로 간 뒤 양성 판정을 받고 격리됐다고 덧붙였다. 마지막으로 한 여성은 첫 번째 환자와 접촉을 통해 감염됐음에도 불구하고 퇴원했으며 시간이 흐른 뒤 추적했으나 다음 날 메르스로 사망했다고 말했다.

격리대상자는 5월 21일 64명에 불과했으나 6월 5일 현재 4,000여 명으로 늘었다. 또 감염 확진자는 5월 20일 2명에서 5일 현재 41명으로 늘었으며, 메르스로 인한 사망은 6월 1일 1명에서 5일 현재 5명으로 늘었다. 3차 감염은 없을 거라는 정부의 예측은 빗나갔으며 6월 2일 2명에서 5일 현재 10명인 것으로 집계됐다.

다음은 뉴스프로가 번역한 뉴욕타임스 기사 전문이다.

번역 감수 : 임옥

기사 바로가기 ☞ http://nyti.ms/1HL2J32

Fear of MERS Virus Leads Over 230 South Korean Schools to Close

한국, 메르스 바이러스 공포로 230여 학교 휴교

By CHOE SANG-HUN, JUNE 3, 2015

nyt_0603_2015_1

nyt_0603_2015_2

Tourists wearing protective masks in Seoul, South Korea, on Wednesday. Alarm was growing in the country over an outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome. Credit Kim Hong-Ji/Reuters
지난 수요일 보호 마스크를 쓰고 있는 한국 서울의 여행객들. 중동호흡기증후군 발생으로 전국이 초긴장 상태

SEOUL, South Korea — Fears of the deadly virus that causes Middle East respiratory syndrome enveloped South Korea on Wednesday as the authorities nearly doubled the number of quarantined people they say may have been exposed, temporarily closed more than 540 kindergartens and schools and refused to identify the six hospitals where infections had been confirmed.

한국 서울 – 노출됐을 가능성으로 당국이 격리한 사람들의 수가 거의 배로 증가했고 540여 개의 유치원과 학교가 임시 휴교에 들어갔으며 감염이 확인된 6개 병원을 당국이 밝히기를 거부한 가운데, 중동호흡기증후군을 일으키는 치명적 바이러스에 대한 공포가 수요일 한국 전역을 뒤덮었다.

The net result of the government response in South Korea, where the outbreak has suddenly become the largest outside the Middle East, was not only to frighten people but also to discourage many of them from visiting any hospitals — perhaps increasing the possibility that undiscovered and untreated patients could spread the disease even further.

갑작스러운 바이러스 발생이 중동 지역을 제외하고 가장 큰 것으로 나타난 한국에서 이에 대한 정부의 대처는 국민들을 공포에 빠지게 했을뿐더러, 병원에 가는 것조차 꺼리게 하여서, 발견되지 않고 치료를 받지 않은 환자들이 질병을 더욱 확산시킬 가능성이 아마 더욱 커지고 있다.

Amplifying the anxiety, as well, was a deep skepticism of the government’s handling of emergencies, caused in part by the mismanagement of the ferry disaster last year that killed 304 people, mostly high school students.

염려를 가중시켰던 것은 정부의 긴급 상황 대처 능력에 대한 뿌리 깊은 의심으로서, 이는 부분적으로 지난해 대부분 고등학생들이던 304명의 사망자를 낸 세월호 참사에 정부가 잘못 대처한 것에 기인한다.

“A lot of fear we see now is rooted in the distrust of the government and what it says,” said Yu Min-yeong, head of Acase, a crisis management consulting firm based in Seoul.

“지금 보이는 많은 공포가 정부와 정부가 말하는 것에 대한 불신에 기인한다”고 서울에 위치한 위기관리 컨설팅 회사인 아케이스 대표 유민영씨는 말했다.

nyt_0603_2015_3

The South Korean education minister, Hwang Yoo-Wea, announced class cancellations and precautionary measures after the virus killed two. By Reuters on Publish Date June 3, 2015
황우여 한국 교육부 장관은 바이러스로 두 명이 사망한 후 휴교령을 내리고 예방조치를 발표했다.

As of Thursday morning, 35 South Koreans had tested positive for the virus that causes the disease, which has killed hundreds of people in 25 countries, mostly in Saudi Arabia. The virus first emerged three years ago in the Middle East, where the vast majority of the more than 1,100 cases and over 470 deaths reported have occurred. There is also some evidence it can be transmitted from camels to humans.

목요일 오전 현재로 35명의 한국인이 이 병을 일으키는 메르스 바이러스에 양성반응을 보였으며, 이 병은 25개국에서 수백 명의 목숨을 앗아갔고 그 대부분은 사우디아라비아에서였다. 바이러스는 3년 전에 처음으로 중동에서 출현했고, 1,100건이 넘는 많은 사례와 470여 명의 사망자가 보고됐다. 메르스 바이러스는 낙타에서 인간으로 전염될 수 있다는 몇몇 증거가 있다.

Two of the South Korean patients died Monday, and three others were in critical condition, health officials said Wednesday. The authorities were also awaiting test results for 99 people suspected of being infected. The number of people isolated at home or in state-run quarantine centers while officials monitored them for symptoms rose to 1,364 from 790 a day earlier.

월요일에 두 명의 한국 환자가 사망했으며 다른 3명은 위독한 상태라고 보건부 관계자들이 수요일 말했다. 또한 당국은 감염된 것으로 의심되는 99명의 검진 결과를 기다리고 있다. 증세가 나타나는지를 관계자들이 지켜보며 집이나 국가 격리센터에 격리시킨 사람의 수가 하루 전 790명에서 1,364명으로 증가했다.

So far in South Korea, all the reported cases of the syndrome, known as MERS, have been found among medical staff members, patients or visitors at six hospitals. But the school closings reflected the fear of a wider exposure.

현재까지 한국에서 메르스라고 알려진 증후군으로 보고된 모든 사례들은 6개 병원의 의료진들, 환자들 혹은 방문객들로 파악됐다. 그러나 학교 휴교 조치들은 노출 범위가 더 크리라는 공포를 반영했다.

The World Health Organization said Wednesday that although a large outbreak outside the Middle East was a new development, it was not recommending any screening at South Korean ports of entry, “or travel or trade restrictions with regard to this event.”

수요일 세계보건기구는 비록 중동 이외의 지역에서 대규모 발생이 새로이 전개되었지만, 이번 일과 관련해서 출입국 검열이나 “여행 혹은 무역제한” 등을 권하지는 않고 있다고 말했다.

In an advisory posted on its website, the W.H.O. also said that it expected that additional cases would be reported by the South Korean health authorities, but that historically, “consistent application of adequate infection and prevention and public health measures” has stopped transmission of the disease.

웹사이트에 올린 권고 사항에 의하면, 세계보건기구는 또한 한국 보건당국에 의해 추가 발생 사례들이 보고될 것이라 여기지만, 과거 “적절한 감염 및 예방과 공공 보건 조치들의 지속적인 적용”으로 메르스 바이러스의 전염이 막아졌다고 말했다.

nyt_0603_2015_4

South Korean middle school students were wearing masks as a precaution against infection as they visited Gyeongbok Palace in Seoul on Wednesday. Credit Ahn Young-Joon/Associated Press
수요일 서울 경복궁을 방문한 한국 중학생들이 감염에 대비하기 위한 예방 조치로써 마스크를 착용하고 있었다.

Still, as the number of cases grew, alarm increased in South Korea, where many people remain traumatized by the sinking of the Sewol ferry in April last year. The death toll in that disaster as often been attributed to the government’s failure to respond quickly.

하지만 발생 건수가 늘어나면서 많은 이들이 작년 4월 세월호의 침몰로 충격에 빠져 있는 한국에서 긴장이 고조됐다. 많은 이들이 세월호 참사의 높은 사망자 수를 신속히 대응하지 못한 정부의 탓으로 여겨왔다.

Many South Koreans have canceled hospital appointments for fear of infection — a concern critics say was fueled in part by the government’s decision not to reveal the names and locations of the hospitals where cases have been discovered.

많은 한국 사람들이 감염의 공포 때문에 병원 약속을 취소했다 – 비평가들은 정부가 메르스 바이러스가 발견된 병원들의 이름과 위치를 알리지 않기로 한 결정이 우려를 심화시키는 데 일조했다고 말한다.

Government health officials said that decision was aimed at preventing a panic surrounding the hospitals, a policy even some lawmakers from the governing Saenuri Party have criticized.

정부 보건 관계자는 병원을 둘러싸고 야기될 극심한 공포를 막기 위해서라고 말했으나, 이러한 방침은 집권 새누리당의 국회의원들로부터도 비난을 샀다.

Stores have reported a surge in sales of hand-sanitizing products, which the government recommended as a precaution against the virus — even though it is spread through proximity to coughing and wheezing, not through touching.

상점들은 정부가 바이러스에 대한 예방 차원으로 권장한 손 세정제 판매가 급등했다고 전했지만, 이 바이러스는 신체접촉이 아닌 기침이나 재채기에 근접함으로써 퍼진다.

The Defense Ministry has urged men to defer their army reserve training if they suspect MERS symptoms.

국방부 장관은 군 장병들에게 메르스 증상이 의심될 경우 부대 안 훈련을 연기할 것을 당부했다.

nyt_0603_2015_5

Staff members disinfecting students’ hands Wednesday at an elementary school in Seoul.
Credit Jung Yeon-Je/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
수요일, 서울의 한 초등학교에서 교직원들이 학생들의 손을 소독하고 있다.

As officials have traced the path of the virus in the country, they have found evidence of careless infection control in its public health system. The first “index” patient, a 68-year-old employee of an agricultural products company, returned home on May 4 via Qatar after visiting Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.

관계자들은 국내에서 바이러스의 경로를 추적하는 과정에서 공중 보건 시스템의 부주의한 감염 관리의 증거들을 발견했다. 처음 “감염” 환자인 68세의 농업제품생산회사 직원은 바레인, 아랍에미리트, 그리고 사우디아라비아를 방문한 뒤 5월 4일 카타르를 거쳐 귀국했다.

He developed a fever and cough, both symptoms of MERS, on May 11 and sought care at three clinics. But doctors did not suspect MERS because he did not tell them about his Middle East trip. A doctor and a nurse from those clinics later tested positive for the virus.

그는 5월 11일 메르스의 두 가지 증상인 발열과 기침을 시작했고 세 군데 병원에서 진료를 받았다. 그러나 의사들은 그가 중동에 여행했던 것에 대해 말하지 않았기 때문에 메르스로 의심하지 않았다. 이 병원의 의사 한 명과 간호사 한 명이 후에 바이러스 양성 반응을 보였다.

It was not until May 18 that a doctor at a larger hospital asked the government authorities to test the man for the virus. Two days later, he was declared the country’s first MERS case. Twenty-seven other cases have since been traced to that hospital.

5월 18일에서야 큰 병원의 한 의사가 정부 당국에 그 남자의 바이러스 검사를 요청했다. 이틀 뒤, 그는 한국의 첫 번째 메르스 감염자로 언명됐다. 그 이후로 스물일곱 건의 다른 케이스에 대해 그 병원까지 경로가 추적됐다.

One of them, a 44-year-old man who visited his father there, flew to China on May 26 via Hong Kong, although he had been advised by doctors to stay home. The penalty for ignoring such advice is a fine of up to 3 million won, or $2,700. He tested positive in China and was quarantined there last week.

그중 한 사람으로서 그곳 병원에 입원한 자신의 아버지를 방문했던 44세의 남자는 의사로부터 집에 있도록 권고받았지만 5월 26일 홍콩을 경유해 중국으로 갔다. 이러한 권고를 무시한 처벌은 벌금 3백만 원 혹은 2천7백 달러이다. 그는 중국에서 양성 판정을 받고 지난주 그곳에서 격리됐다.

Another patient, a 58-year-old woman, was infected through contact with the first patient but was released after treatment for asthma. The health authorities did not trace her to another hospital until Sunday. She died of MERS on Monday.

또 다른 환자, 59세의 한 여성은 첫 번째 환자와 접촉을 통해 감염됐지만 천식 치료 후 퇴원했다. 보건 당국은 일요일에야 다른 병원에 있는 그녀를 추적했다. 그녀는 월요일에 메르스로 사망했다.

“We apologize for the inappropriate initial responses,” Moon Hyung-pyo, the minister of health and welfare, said Tuesday at a news conference. “We were too relaxed.”

문형표 보건복지부 장관은 “초기 부적절한 대응에 대해 사과드린다”고 화요일 기자 회견에서 말했다. “우리가 너무 안이했다.”

In yet another case, a 40-year-old man who stayed in the same hospital ward as the first patient to get treatment for pneumonia was released after his condition appeared to have improved. Officials traced him to another hospital on Sunday. The next day, two patients who shared a room with him there tested positive. They were the first tertiary, or third-generation, infections reported. Until then, the government had said that such third-generation cases were unlikely.

하지만 또 다른 케이스로 폐렴 치료를 받기 위해 첫 번째 환자와 같은 병동에 머물렀던 40세 남자는 증상이 호전된 것으로 보여 퇴원했다. 당국은 일요일 다른 병원에 있는 그를 추적했다. 다음 날, 그곳에서 그와 같은 병실을 쓴 두 명의 환자가 양성 판정을 받았다. 그들은 첫 번째 3차 감염자로 보고됐다. 그때까지 정부는 3차 감염의 사례는 별로 가능성이 없다고 말했다.

The Education Ministry said it was advising schools to consider temporarily closing if they feared a mass infection among students. But during a news briefing on Wednesday, Kwon Jun-wook, a senior Health Ministry official, called the closing of schools “medically wrong.” Kim Woo-joo, head of the Korean Society of Infectious Diseases, also opposed the closing of schools, calling it too drastic a precaution.

교육부는 학생들 사이의 대량 감염의 우려가 있으면 일시적인 휴교를 고려할 것을 권고한다고 말했다. 그러나 수요일 뉴스 브리핑에서 보건복지부 고위 관료인 권준욱씨는 휴교는 “의학적으로 잘못”된 결정이라고 말했다. 대한감염학회 이사장 김우주 씨 또한 휴교를 너무 극단적인 예방 조치라며 반대했다.

[번역 저작권자: 뉴스프로, 번역기사 전문 혹은 일부를 인용하실 때에는 반드시 출처를 밝혀주십시오.]
소셜 댓글
뉴스프로 후원하기

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

x

Check Also

블룸버그, 한국 2차 대유행에도 개방정책 유지할 수 있을까

블룸버그, 한국 2차 대유행에도 개방정책 유지할 수 있을까 – 문대통령, 2차 코로나바이러스 급증 사태 경고 ...