Home / Headline / 버라이어티, 유럽 영화인들 “부산영화제 독립 보장해야”

버라이어티, 유럽 영화인들 “부산영화제 독립 보장해야”

버라이어티, 유럽 영화인들 “부산영화제 독립 보장해야”
– 베를린과 로테르담 영화제 현직 위원장들 연대 뜻 밝혀
– <다이빙벨> 논란으로 사퇴 압력 받는 이용관 위원장에

세월호 침몰의 진실을 다룬 다큐멘터리 영화 <다이빙벨> 상영 강행 이후 집행위원장이 사퇴 압력을 받는 등 수난당하고 있는 부산국제영화제를 향해 유럽의 거물급 영화계 인사들이 연대의 뜻을 밝혔다.

미국에서 발행되는 100년 전통의 영화 전문지 <버라이어티>는 지난 2월 7일자 인터넷판에 “베를린: 코슬릭과 볼프슨, 난타당한 부산국제영화제 지도부에 연대”라는 제목의 기사를 실었다. 제목에 등장한 코슬릭은 베를린 영화제 집행위원장이며, 볼프슨은 로테르담 영화제 집행위원장이다.

이 잡지의 아시아지국장인 패트릭 프레이터는 기사에서 “세월호 참사 이후 정부의 나태함과 정경유착을 고발하는 마이클 무어 식의 다큐멘터리 <다이빙 벨>을 프로그램에 넣은 부산국제영화제의 결정”으로 인해 부산시장 등이 이용관 부산국제영화제 집행위원장의 사임을 요구하는 “불상사”를 낳았다고 적었다.

기사에서 코슬릭 베를린 영화제 위원장은 “영화제와 작품선정인은 독립적이어야 한다”며 “다른 영화제의 내 동료들과 마찬가지로 나도 부산국제영화제에 연대를 보낸다”고 말했다. 이어 볼프슨 위원장은 “부산국제영화제는 자신들이 원하는 방식으로 그리고 자신들이 필요하다고 여기는 방식으로 영화제를 자유롭게 만들 수 있어야한다”고 주장했다.

다음은 뉴스프로가 번역한 버라이어티 기사 전문이다.

번역 감수: 임옥

기사 바로가기 ☞  http://bit.ly/1yfMExp

 

Berlin: Kosslick, Wolfson Stand Behind Battered Busan Festival Leaders

베를린: 코슬릭과 볼프슨, 난타당한 부산국제영화제 지도부에 연대

variety_0207_2015_1

variety_0207_2015_2

FEBRUARY 7, 2015 | 10:00PM PT     LUCA TEUCHMANN/WIREIMAGE

Patrick Frater 패트릭 프레이터
Asia Bureau Chief 아시아 지국장

Berlin festival chief Dieter Kosslick and outgoing Rotterdam boss Rutger Wolfson have thrown their weight behind the embattled management team of the Busan Intl. Film Festival.

베를린영화제 위원장 디터 코슬릭과 로테르담 영화제의, 임기를 다한 위원장 루트거 볼프슨은 싸움을 앞두고 있는 부산국제영화제의 운영팀에 대해 연대를 선언했다.

Busan’s director Lee Yong-kwan has been under fire from the city authorities since last October’s festival. Last week the city mayor and senior members of the council issued a public statement calling for Lee to resign.

부산국제영화제 집행위원장인 이용관씨는 지난해 10월의 영화제 이후로 부산시 당국의 비난을 받아왔다. 지난주 부산시장과 부산시 고위급 시의원들은 이위원장의 사임을 요구하는 성명서를 냈다.

The rift was caused by the festival’s decision to program “The Truth Shall Not Sink With Sewol” (aka “The Diving Bell”), a Michael Moore-style documentary that accuses the national government of negligence and collusion after the ferry disaster that killed 300 schoolchildren in April last year.

그 불상사는 지난해 4월 300명의 학생들을 죽인 세월호 참사 이후 정부의 나태함과 정경유착을 고발하는 마이클 무어 식의 다큐멘터리인 “진실은 침몰하지 않는다”(일명 다이빙 벨)을 프로그램에 넣은 부산국제영화제의 결정으로 발생하게 됐다.

The council denies that the film is the issue, and instead says that the festival management has failed to complete a lot of administrative tasks and reports – including the duty to give advanced notice of film selections to the council’s cultural committee.

시 의회는 해당 영화가 문제라는 말은 부인하며, 대신 부산국제영화제 운영진이 시의회의 문화위원회에 영화선정에 관한 사전 통지를 보낼 의무를 포함하여 많은 행정적 업무와 보고를 제대로 해내지 못했다고 말한다.

For many in the industry, in Korea and abroad, the dispute has taken on larger proportions and, in the post-Charlie Hebdo-era; it has been characterized as a growing attack on freedom of expression.

한국과 해외에 있는 영화계에서 이 논란은 큰 비중을 차지했고 특히 샤를리 엡도사건 이후 이는 표현의 자유에 대해 점점 더 증가하는 공격으로 간주되고 있다.

“We are in solidarity with the director and the (selection) committee. And we will speak for the director and for the art… I still hope that there is a solution and so the whole board and the director can go on,” said Kosslick in an interview. “The film festival and the curator have to be independent. That’s the first thing with art.”

“우리는 감독과 선택위원회와 뜻을 함께한다. 그리고 우리는 감독과 또 예술을 대변할 것이다. 나는 해결 방안을 찾아서 위원회와 감독이 계속할 수 있기를 아직도 희망한다”고 코슬릭은 인터뷰에서 말했다. “영화제와 작품선정인은 독립적이어야 한다. 그것이야말로 예술의 첫 사항이다.”

“We’re extremely concerned that the chairman of the organization committee (Lee) was asked to withdraw a film from its program in a civilized society, Korea. This should not be the case. And we’re following this very closely,” said Wolfson. “For a festival, an independent program is incredibly important. It’s practically impossible to ask for a festival to share the idea of the program beforehand with any organization. The Busan Intl. Film Festival should be free to make their festival they want to make and they need to make.”

“우리는 한국과 같은 선진화된 국가에서 집행위원장에게 특정 작품의 상영 취소를 요구했다는 점에 깊이 우려한다. 이런 일은 있어서는 안된다. 그리고 우리는 이를 아주 주의깊게 지켜보겠다”고 볼프슨 집행위원장은 말했다. “영화제에 있어 프로그램의 독립성은 아주 중요하다. 영화제가 프로그램에 대한 아이디어를 어느 단체와 사전에 공유해야 한다고 요구하는 것 자체가 실제 불가능하다. 부산국제영화제는 자신들이 원하는 방식으로 그리고 자신들이 필요하다고 여기는 방식으로 영화제를 자유롭게 만들 수 있어야한다.”

Kosslick added: “Like my collegues from other festivals I show my solidarity with the Busan Film Festival. We defend the freedom of cinema and the freedom of the people that present cinema”

코슬릭은 “다른 영화제의 내 동료들과 마찬가지로 나도 부산국제영화제에 연대를 보낸다. 우리는 영화의 자유와 영화를 상영하는 사람들의 자유를 옹호한다”고 덧붙였다.

A truce of sorts was announced last week between the festival management and the city authorities, with Lee announced as staying on to head the festival’s supposedly celebratory 20th edition in October.

지난 주 영화제 운영진과 시 당국 사이에 일종의 휴전이 발표됐고 이 위원장은 10월에 있을 20회 국제영화제를 계속 이끌어가겠다고 말했다.

But since then a series of emails and documents have been leaked to the media, sparking more public accusations and counter-charges.

하지만 그때 이후로, 일련의 이메일과 서류들이 언론에 새어 나갔고 더 많은 공개비난과 맞비난으로 점화됐다.

Sources close to the festival estimate the chances of all the festival selectors still being in place by October at no more than 50%.

이 영화제를 잘 아는 소식통에 따르면 영화제 심사위원단이 10월까지 기껏해야 반정도 자리를 유지할 것으로 예측한다.

Sonia Kil in Seoul contributed to this report.

서울의 소니아 길씨가 기사에 도움을 주었다.

[번역 저작권자: 뉴스프로, 번역기사 전문 혹은 일부를 인용하실 때에는 반드시 출처를 밝혀주십시오.]
소셜 댓글
뉴스프로 후원하기

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

x

Check Also

미 디플로마트, 세월호 다큐멘터리 ‘애프터 더 세월’ 개봉 소식 전해

미 디플로마트, 세월호 다큐멘터리 ‘애프터 더 세월’ 개봉 소식 전해 – 영국 다큐감독 닐 조지, ...