Home / Headline / WSJ, 유우성씨 무죄 판결 상세보도

WSJ, 유우성씨 무죄 판결 상세보도

WSJ, 유우성씨 무죄 판결 상세보도
-여동생 증언, 압력 받아 허위 진술 판시
-국정원 증거 조작 혐의로 수사 중

세월호 사건이 모든 외신을 뒤덮고 있는 가운데 미국의 대표적인 보수신문인 월스트리트저널이 지난 몇 달 동안 한국 사회를 뜨겁게 달구었던 국정원 간첩 증거조작 사건의 피해자인 유우성씨 항소심 무조판결 내용을 보도했다. 그 동안 국정원 간첩조작 사건 관계보도를 꾸준히 보도해온 월스트리트저널은 이번 항소심 결과도 보도하며 지난 금요일 서울 고등법원은 무죄를 확정지었다고 재판 결과를 전했다.

월스트리트저널은 25일 ‘South Korean Appeals Court Upholds Defector’s Acquittal -한국 고등법원 항소심, 탈북자 무죄 확정’이라는 제목의 기사에서 ‘고법대변인 채동수에 따르면 고법판사 김흥준 판사는 자신의 판결에서 “그가 북한을 위해 일했다는 여동생의 증언을 포함한 핵심 증거가 채택될 수 없거나 불충분하다”’고 말했다고 무죄판결 배경을 보도했다.

월스트리트저널은 “여동생이 국정원으로부터 심문을 받을 당시 변호사를 접견할 수 있는 기본적인 권리를 박탈 당했다. 여동생은 또한 압력을 받아 허위 진술을 한 것으로 보인다”고 김 판사가 판시했다며 “작년에 이어 올 4월까지 정말 힘든 시간이었다. 내 여동생은 정신적 고통을 겪고 있고 이것은 평생 지속될 것이다. 다시는 이와 같은 불의의 사건이 발생하지 않기를 바란다”고 말한 유우성씨의 말도 같이 전했다. 월스트리트저널은 기사에서 유우성씨 사건의 초기부터 1심 그리고 국정원의 간첩증거조작, 이에 대한 남재준 국정원장과 박근혜의 유감표명 등의 과정을 상세하게 전했다.

다음은 월스트리트저널의 기사 전문을 뉴스프로가 번역한 것이다.

번역 감수: 임옥

기사 바로가기 ☞ http://on.wsj.com/1pGPEV7

South Korean Appeals Court Upholds Defector’s Acquittal

한국 고등법원 항소심, 탈북자 무죄 확정

By IN-SOO NAM And JEYUP S. KWAAK, April 25, 2014 4:34 a.m. ET

wsj_0426_2014_1

SEOUL—A South Korean appeals court on Friday upheld a lower-court ruling acquitting a North Korean defector of multiple charges of espionage for Pyongyang.

서울 – 한국 항소법원이 북한간첩혐의로 여러 건 기소된 탈북자를 무죄로 판결한 하급법원의 판결을 확정했다.

The case made national headlines in recent months after South Korea’s National Intelligence Service became the subject of a separate investigation for allegedly forging evidence in the case against the defector, Yu Woo-sung.

탈북자 유우성씨에 대한 사건에서 증거를 조작한 혐의로 한국 국정원이 별도로 수사 대상이 된 이후 이 사건은 최근 수개월 동안 국내언론의 헤드라인을 장식했다.

One NIS agent attempted suicide and President Park Geun-hye apologized publicly for the actions of the agency. Prosecutors continued to pursue the case against Mr. Yu in the appeals court.

국정원 직원 한 명이 자살을 시도했고 박근혜 대통령은 정보기관의 행동에 대해 공개적으로 사과했다. 검찰은 유 씨의 사건을 항소심으로 가져갔다.

Mr. Yu reached South Korea in 2004 but became the subject of a probe by the NIS after making a trip to North Korea in 2006 via China to attend his mother’s funeral.

유 씨는 2004년에 한국으로 왔지만 2006년에 어머니 장례식에 참석하기 위해 중국을 거쳐 북한으로 여행 한 후에 국정원의 조사 대상이 됐다.

The investigation into Mr. Yu was dropped in mid-2010 after it passed the statute of limitations. Then in January 2013, agents again took him in for questioning, saying it secured testimony from his sister that he worked for the North’s government. Mr. Yu was arrested and charged.

유 씨에 관한 조사는 공소시효가 지난 후인 2010년 중반 중단됐다. 그러다 지난 2013년 1월 국정원은 그의 여동생으로부터 그가 북한의 정부를 위해 일했다는 증언을 확보했다면서 심문을 하기위해 그를 다시 불러들였다. 유 씨는 체포됐으며 기소됐다.

But during a trial last year, the sister, Yu Ga-ryeo, recanted. Mr. Yu was acquitted in August of the espionage charges because of lack of evidence.

그러나 지난 해에 있었던 재판 중에 그의 여동생 유가려씨가 증언을 철회했다. 지난 8월 유 씨는 증거불충분으로 간첩혐의에 대해 무죄를 선고받았다.

On Friday, the Seoul High Court confirmed the acquittal.

지난 금요일 서울 고등법원법은 무죄를 확정지었다.

“The main evidence, including a statement from his sister claiming that he worked for North Korea, is inadmissible or insufficient,” Kim Heung-joon, a judge at the court said in his ruling, according to court spokesman Chae Dong-soo.

고법대변인 채동수에 따르면 고법판사 김흥준 판사는 자신의 판결에서 “그가 북한을 위해 일했다는 여동생의 증언을 포함한 핵심 증거가 채택될 수 없거나 불충분하다”고 말했다.

“The sister was deprived of the basic right to meet her lawyer while undergoing questioning by the NIS. Under pressure, she was also thought to have provided a false statement,” Mr. Kim said.

“여동생이 국정원으로부터 심문을 받을 당시 변호사를 접견할 수 있는 기본적인 권리를 박탈 당했다. 여동생은 또한 압력을 받아 허위 진술을 한 것으로 보인다”고 김 판사는 말했다.

“The last year and four months have been a difficult period for me. My sister has an psychological illness that will last a lifetime,” Mr. Yu said Friday.

“작년에 이어 올 4월까지 정말 힘든 시간이었다. 내 여동생은 정신적 고통을 겪고 있고 이것은 평생 지속될 것이다”라고 유우성씨가 금요일 말했다.

“I hope there won’t be similar cases of injustice in the future.”

“다시는 이와 같은 불의의 사건이 발생하지 않기를 바란다.”

Officials at the NIS and the Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office declined to comment. A spokesman for the prosecutor’s office also declined to say whether it will appeal Friday’s ruling to the Supreme Court.

국정원과 서울중앙지검 관계자들은 논평을 거부했다. 검찰측 대변인은 금요일 판결에 대해 대법원에 상고할 지 여부에 대해서도 언급하기를 거부했다.

Last month, prosecutors said an investigation into the NIS found that agents had fabricated Mr. Yu’s immigration records. NIS director Nam Jae-joon apologized and Ms. Park said the agency would be reformed.

지난 달 검찰은 국정원에 대한 수사를 통해 국정원 직원들이 유 씨의 출입경기록을 조작했다는 사실을 밝혀냈다. 남재준 국정원장은 사과했고 박 대통령은 국정원이 개혁돼야 한다고 말했다.

Separately, the appeals court maintained a suspended one-year prison sentence on Mr. Yu for hiding his Chinese citizenship—he is from a rare group of ethnic Chinese North Koreans with some freedom to move between China and North Korea—and using a pseudonym when he arrived in Seoul in 2004, in order to secure South Korean citizenship granted to North Korean defectors. Mr. Yu must also repay state aid worth 25.65 million won ($24,700).

이와는 별도로 법원은 유 씨가 중국국적을 숨기고–그는 드물게도 재북화교 출신으로 비교적 자유롭게 중국과 북한 간 이동이 가능했다–2004년 서울에 도착했을 때 북한탈북자에게 주어지는 한국 국적을 취득하기 위해 가명을 사용한 혐의에 대해서는 기존의 집행유예돤 징역 1년형을 유지했다. 또한 유 씨는 정부로부터 받은 지원금 2,565만원 ($24,700)에 대한 추징을 선고 받았다.

소셜 댓글
뉴스프로 후원하기

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*